Sunday, January 12, 2014

Affluenza Defense

Grey, Madison. "Affluenza Defense: Judge Rules Rick Kid's Rich Kid-ness Makes Him Not Liable for Deadly Drunk Driving Accident". NewsFeed.Time. Time News 12 Dec 2013. Web. 6 Jan 2013. <http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/the-affluenza-defense-judge-rules-rich-kids-rich-kid-ness-makes-him-not-liable-for-deadly-drunk-driving-accident/>




genericitis. "affluenza." Photograph."  Flicker.  Yahoo, 3-28-10. Media. 1-12-14.  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/genericitis/4469485260/>


Ethan Couch was convicted of vehicular manslaughter due to drunk driving in Keller, Texas. This wealthy child is thought to have a rare condition that is believe to have him have a poor understanding of what consequences he could face after committing a terrible act. This illness he suffers from is know as “affluenza” according to Couch’s lawyers. This term means that because of their wealthy status, his family could afford to keep him out of trouble and he would have suffer for nothing and do as he pleased. This is the defense that kept Ethan out of a twenty year sentence. He was given probation instead.


This relates to us and what we are thought because we learn from a very young age that if you do something wrong you get punished. What happened to this sixteen year old boy was the opposite. Just because this boy’s family is rich and mine’s not means he can kill four people? It goes against what we learn everyday.

This event struck me as odd, I dont think that he should not have to suffer the pain that everyone that lose their loved ones does. He should have to serve the jail time just as I would have, his money should not make him invulnerable because of his “affluenza”.  I think this affects me because its changing everything that I was thought when I was little.

What was the author's point of view and how does it impact the overall effect of the text?

The author had the same opinion as me, the child should have been forced to pay the time. She shows this by showing a quote from after the sentencing. Saying his money is what helped him out of ht bind he was in, "if [he] had been any other youth, I fell like the circumstances would have been different (Grey Madison).

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog, because I like your writing style! However, you had multiple spelling errors. What do you mean by "Its changing everything that I was thought when I was little?". Also, you should try to blend your quotes more there "dangling"as Mrs. Payseur says. Overall I agree with your opinion, he should have faced same consequences a middle class individual would.

    ReplyDelete